How do I get my dog to take his meds without a struggle?

• Any advice on how to get my 15-year-old cockapoo to take all his medication? It's so diffcult..no matter how much cheese I use!! 

• @Natalia Szurawski - go to the grocery store and get Braunschweiger (liverwurst).  It's by the pre-packaged lunch meat.  I have never met a dog that can resist that!

• Getting your dog to take medication without a struggle can be a challenge, but there are several strategies you can try to make the process easier:

1. Hide the Medication in Treats:

• One of the most common and effective methods is to hide the medication in a treat or soft food. You can purchase pill pockets designed for this purpose or use something your dog loves, like cheese or peanut butter.
      • Place the pill inside the treat or food and offer it to your dog. Many dogs will eat it without realizing there's medication inside.
    2. Crush or Cut Pills:

• If the medication can be safely crushed or cut, you can mix it with a small amount of wet food, broth, or a treat to mask the taste.
      • Ensure that you consult your vet before altering the form of the medication, as some pills should not be crushed or split.
    3. Liquid Medication:

• Some medications are available in liquid form, which can be mixed with a tasty liquid or food. Ask your vet if this is an option.
    4. Use a Pill Dispenser:

• A pill dispenser is a device designed to hold the pill securely while allowing you to place it at the back of your dog's throat. This can help ensure your dog swallows the medication.
      • Follow your vet's instructions on how to use the dispenser properly.
    5. Professional Administration:

• If your dog is extremely difficult to medicate, consider having a veterinarian or vet technician administer the medication. They have experience and techniques to make it easier.
    6. Practice Desensitization:

• Make a game out of administering treats without medication to build positive associations with your hands and the process.
      • Gradually introduce the medication, ensuring your dog still receives treats and praise.
    7. Consult a Veterinary Behaviorist:

• If your dog is consistently uncooperative, consult with a veterinary behaviorist who can provide specialized training and advice.
    8. Reward and Praise:

• Always reward your dog with praise and treats after successfully taking the medication. This reinforces the positive experience.
    9. Be Calm and Patient:

• Dogs can sense anxiety and tension, so approach the process calmly and confidently. If you're nervous, your dog may become more resistant.
    10. Ask Your Vet for Alternatives:

• If your dog refuses all methods, talk to your vet about alternative medications or delivery methods that might be more palatable. dog chew toys